Sunday, May 15, 2011

Weekend of bike tooling

It's Sunday night and I think I tinkered with 8 bikes this weekend. Feeling stoked about it. It was a kinda cold and rainy weekend so I didn't make it out gnarnia with the Oakland Dirt Owls, so plenty of shop time.
Firstly, I gotta at least mention selling my 80's Mondonico. I know it's no mtb but she's at least nice to look at. Here she is just before the end:
Fare well my too small and sporty friend.
Then there's this guy:




Tough guy, Jonny Schroeder and his lightly modded 85 stumpy sport above. I love those Uff Das! Below is Tamar's 85(?) Fischer Mountian Bikes Montare. Not a lot of changes, but a new cockpit set up:



She ditched the Nitto Bullmoose bars for this Specialized stem off an '85 Rockhopper and a Jitensa Studio bar.

Also of note is her killer old Drillium Brooks Pro:

Modded Magura grips, see unmodded version below:

That stem. These are really nice, strangely has a 26.0 clamp, maybe Nitto made these?

Just another view to get a sense of the bend in the bars. Since I use the same one, I can vouch for it. It's got no rise and the grip position isn't too far back so you don't end up riding like a prairie dog.

I'm excited about this one. This is my new shop space. It's a garage from the 20's, narrow and tall. Pretty much a dedicated space for bike wrenchin'. That's Tamar embarrassed heading out the door, and Emma's Rossin on vacation hanging in the rafters.

And the unmolested Maguras. These were on the bike but they had some funky rubber covers on them.

And then there's this beast. My buddy Joe turned me on to this score at a junk shop. It's a mid 80's (87?) Jamis Dakar. Silver overspray on everything, parts et al. I could see that the word Dakar was visible through the scratched paint and it's a nicely lugged frame. I could see where the tubing sticker was under the overspray and scratched at it with my fingernail only to reveal a tange prestige sticker. I was pumped and picked it up for 15 bucks! The dirty candy:




Not too excited about the under mount roller cam/u-brake mounts.




The diploma

I can't find out much about this bike. The Jamis website says that they were lugged in '87 after being fillet brazed in the early 80's. An interesting frame anyway.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your blog and am getting into vintage mountain bikes myself.
    I see your friend rides an '85 Stumpjumper and was hoping you could give me some advice. I guy 60 miles from me is selling an '83 Stumpjumper with a 22" inch frame. I'm just under 6'1" with a PBH of 91 cm. Do you think it's worth checking out or will it be too small? I would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw this comment and I prolly missed the moment, but I'd guess it's too big. My 6'1" buddy is on a 20". Of course, it has taken me several years and many ill fitting bikes to finally realize that I totally don't understand bike fit. I hope you find your dream stumpy tho!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for responding. I ended up finding a 22.5" 87 Stumpjumper Comp in pristine condition, one of those neglected garage hangers. I put on some nitto Bullmoose bars and fenders and am loving it. Keep up the good work on the blog.

    ReplyDelete