Saturday, February 26, 2011

Tires, the road dirt kind

Since I haven't been seeing many old MTBs on the streets recently, I figured a post about tires was in order. I'm a big fan of these tires that have been marketed as "urban jumping," or "dirt jumping," or "cruiser" tires. A buddy and I have been riding around on a set Panaracer UFF DAs 2.3", and they are amazing, super fun tires.




They're fast on the road and pretty sticky in the dirt. The low tread profile makes them wicked in mud. And, since I'm a pretty big fan of "riding to the ride" they won't harsh your mellow getting out to the trail. When I first got these, I really wanted to buy some Schwalbe Fat Franks.
They come in cool colors and don't have an offensive space age tread design. They come in a 2.35"! They also cost just about double the UFF DA. I like to spend money on my bikes to buy good parts but when you're building up a new project 80 bucks of tires will blow the budget pretty fast. Then again, if you have to have some color, this is the option. But in some recent digging I noticed the Crazy Bob:



They also come in a 2.35" and have a nice basic tread design and the price is about the same as the UFF DA. Maybe I'll try these on the next project...

Also of note is the Big Apple. It looks like its more geared to hardpack than to cruising. Still costs about 35 bucks.



And there's the Geax Tattoo Light 2.3" Same idea as several above, An urban assault thing. Looks like a snake's underbelly, so it's got that going for it. Comes in white too.

And the blocky treaded Geax Booze, also 2.3:

No comments:

Post a Comment